Chilmark Church Potluck Sunday October 17at our house, 508-693-5803.  Directions to our house:
In West Tisbury turn right off the Edgartown road onto New Lane (stables sign on right).  Go 3/10 mile until the road splits three ways, the left becomes Tiah’s Cove Road, a dirt road is straight ahead, and our dirt road is a right turn at that point (tree on left has signs on it, including “Pond View Farm.”  Follow this dirt road up past the stables, keeping them and paddocks on the right.  Our house is the third house on the left after the stables.  Two car garage in front of the house.
I hope you will all come.
Categorized as News

Meals on Wheels needs drivers

We are experiencing a shortage of Meals on Wheels drivers.  We are looking for seasonal and year-round volunteers to deliver Meals on Wheels one day a week, Monday thru Friday from 11:00am – 12:00pm to homebound elders who aren’t able to prepare a nutritious meal.  Routes are available in all six towns.  Mileage reimbursement is available.  All the meals are cooked and prepared by the MV Hospital Dietary Department.

The contact person is:

Heather Fauteux

508-693-4393 ext. 12

Categorized as News

Notes from Old Trustees Records

Phyllis Conway trnscribed these excerpts from official Board of Trustees Secretary’s Records.  This is part One 1928-1953.

A Little History.  The present building of the Chilmark Community Methodist Church was moved from Middle Road in 1910.  In 1908 a house, designated the Parsonage was moved to its present site, donated by the Tilton, Adams and Mayhew families.  This parsonage was built on Middle Road in 1863, first as a one-story building, later a 2nd story was added.  Once moved to the Menemsha Crossroad site this parsonage was rented out by the church.  Pastors served more than one Methodist Church on the Island and they lived down-Island, journeying to Chilmark for Sunday worship and pastoral care.

In the Quarterly Conference Book of 1928 it is reported that Chilmark and Edgartown were an allied parish, sharing a pastor.

Chilmark was part of a shared parish in the 1930’s through the early 1980’s.  We shared a pastor with variously;  Edgartown, Lambert’s Cove, Vineyard Haven & Oak Bluffs, in the ’30’s and 40’s.

In 1928 the Board discussed wiring the Parsonage for electricity, but deemed it too expensive.  The parsonage was heated with coal stoves and had a large cook stove in the kitchen.  In April, 1940, at the expense of a tenant holding a 4-yr. lease, the Parsonage was wired for electricity.

In May, 1941 an organ was given to the church by the Camp Meeting Association of Oak Bluffs.  Oscar Flanders (father of David Flanders) moved and installed it under the balcony at the rear of the sanctuary.

In January, 1947 the Board discussed whether to sell or retain the parsonage.  The District Supt. of the Methodist Conference counseled against selling unless imperative.  The board decided rather to repair the building and to continue renting it.

In 1953 Mutual Church Insurance Co. declined to insure the parsonage since it was not the pastor’s home.

In Sept 1953 The Board voted to give the organ in the rear of the santuary to the Bradley Memorial Church of Oak Bluffs.

Categorized as News

March 8 Woody Bowman

Woody Bowman of West Tisbury, Director of  FOCUS,  will be our guest preacher on March 8.  We will post more details later.

Categorized as News