Stay posted for further information.
Island churches are forming an ecumenical youth group. Its proposed name is The Net. Please read the guiding principles and goals below and then sign off on this memorandum if you wish to participate. Each participating church is expected to provide financial support and assist a paid youth group leader.
- The goal is to provide a safe place where students can grow and share their faith.
- The Net will serve students in grades 7-12, beginning September, 2014.
- Character education and faith development will be stressed. Though we may not study scripture, this will be a faith-based program (for example, we expect to end each meeting with The Lord’s Prayer).
- At least one clergy person from a participating church will be present at every meeting. Participating churches will also be asked to provide adult lay leaders on occasion (for regular meetings and special events or trips), who will also be asked to contribute to the life of the group (e.g., get to know the students and take and active role in the group).
- There will be no “discipling” and no proselytizing.
- Safe Church policies will be followed. Leaders and volunteers will be CORIed.
The Net will meet on Sundays from 4:00 to 5:30 pm from September 14 – May 17. If school is not scheduled for Monday, the Youth Group will not meet, therefore meeting dates are:
September 14, 21 and 28 (3) February 1, 8 and 22 (3)
October 5, 19 and 26 (3) March 1, 8, 15, 22 and 29 (5)
November 2, 9, 16 and 23 (4) April 12 and 26 (2)
December 7 and 14 (2) May 3, 10 and 17 (3)
January 4, 11 and 25 (3)
There will be 28 meetings, plus a winter ski trip, and a mission trip in the spring.
We will hold meetings at Island churches on a rotating basis. One church will host in September, October and November. A second church will host in December, January and February. A third church will host in March, April and May.
We will hire and pay one leader, who will be supported by clergy and lay people from the participating churches. Details about staffing and accounting for paid position are available upon request.